Thursday, August 22, 2013

First Round Complete

I had my third cycle of chemo on Tuesday, so my first round is officially complete. It has been an interesting three weeks to say the least. I am hoping the next round goes a little smoother! A few days before I started chemo, I had to stop taking the medicine that I had been on for the past 8 months. Unfortunately, my body had a negative reaction to not having that medicine in my system anymore. I was in alot pain and couldn't sleep. Then it was time to have my first treatment. I was very nauseated and fatigued, so I was mostly on the couch for four days. I started feeling better Saturday and then it was time to have my second treatment on Tuesday. They changed my dosage of nausea meds, which helped immensely, but unfortunately it caused my vision to be blurred and my eyes couldn't focus. It was such an odd feeling. I started feeling better again on Saturday, but started not feeling well Monday night. We found out my Calcium levels were elevated along with a few other things with my liver. Also, my white count was really low. I went ahead and got a reduced amount of chemo on Tuesday and then had to go back yesterday for an infusion of Zometa to help lower the Calcium and also received a Neulasta shot to boost my white cell count. I also received a bag of Saline to help hydrate me and flush my system. Unfortunately, the Neulasta shot does not kick in for 6 days, because it is designed to start elevating my white count closer to my next chemo treatment. I am praying that nothing else creeps up next week, so that I can enjoy my week off from treatment! In spite of this bumpy start, I have had a few good days mixed in with the bad. I really appreciate all of the cards, phone calls and words of encouragement I have received. I have really appreciated all of the meals and other special things that my friends and family have done for us. You are such a blessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment