Sunday, October 6, 2013

September 8 - October 6, 2013 Update

I had more blood work on September 8th. My Calcium level tested at 11.3 and I had a few other elevated levels related to my liver function. The next day, I had to get an xray of my bowels to check for possible blockages, because I had been having a lot of issues with constipation. I also received chemo that day. On Thursday, September 12th, I was in extreme pain again, so I was admitted at St. V in Indianapolis and stayed there until September 19th. I received wonderful care from the nurses on their Oncology Floor and also really liked working with Dr. Brown and the whole Supportive Care team. I also got to see Dr. Gupta every day I was there, so that made me feel better too. They figured out the best way to keep my pain under control and also a bowel protocol that works for me. We also found out that even though my port has worked, it has not been fully functioning on all levels. Dr. Patel performed surgery to remove the old one and put in a new one on the other side. It works great now! We also found out that my tumor marker test revealed that it is 630, so that is up from 129 in July. Last week, I just rested and hung around the house. I was able to do a few of my normal household chores that I enjoy doing. I even went to the girls soccer games. It was so comforting to be in a little bit of a normal routine again. I had my family and friends help with all of the tasks that I can't do. Since I was feeling better, I had to turn down a few offers, but I told them they will probably get a chance again sometime soon. Everyone's help means so much to me. Whenever I am able to drive again, I think it will make things easier around here. I appreciate all of the prayers, cards, heart felt notes, gift baskets, flowers, food, phone calls, and visits. Everything means so much to us. We have so many people praying for us. It is just astonishing! It is helping us fight this bravely knowing that God is on our side. I started chemo, October 1st. I am using Taxol and Gemzar again. I have received these drugs before and had great success. Dr. Gupta and a group of his colleagues decided that this was where we needed to start. I will receive 4 to 6 treatments, and then get a scan and tumor marker test to see if we are making any progress. We will also keep my pain treatment regimen at the same level, unless something changes. I will receive chemo two Tuesdays in a row, receive a Neulasta injection, and then I will have one week off. We will just have to wait and see how my body responds to these meds. We don't know which days I might feel worse than others, nauseated, or tired, etc. We will just take it one day at a time. I felt fine on Wednesday and then the nausea really started to kick in on Thursday. By the time Friday arrived, I was vomitting and felt horrible. I ended up with a type of Zofran that dissolves on my tongue and starts working immediately. I had to go to the hospital Friday evening, where they administered nausea meds intravenously and gave me some fluids to help with dehydration. I finally got some relief by Friday night and felt a little bit better on Saturday. I have been able to eat and drink a little bit, but nothing sounds good or tastes good. I get my usual bloodwork tomorrow and then should get chemo again on Tuesday, October 8th. I am hoping that I feel better this time around. Thanks again for all of your prayers and support!

No comments:

Post a Comment